If you are enduring body pain of any kind, it’s best to find a medical specialist to take care of it. But when you’ve already typed “professional chiropractor near me” into Google but still haven’t found the best specialist to help with your issues, then you must not know what to look for and what to avoid.
Depending on what kind of physical pain – whether it’s from a sickness, injury or accident, or any kind of condition – you are experiencing, chiropractors can provide you with various treatment techniques. They can also identify if the pain is stemming from an underlying cause of a separate condition. Like with any other care provider, you will need to be meticulous in selecting a professional chiropractor. Thus, here are some tips for you to know how to choose one.
By the end of this post, we hope that choosing a chiropractor near you will not be a bewildering and confusing task anymore. The following simplified steps will narrow down potential candidates.
Get a referral from friends, family, neighbors, and most especially your general medical doctor.
Check if your insurance covers the recommended chiropractors.
Check your state’s licensing and certification board’s site to check the credentials of chiropractors.
Do your research for the condition you have and are seeking treatment for. There are a number of credible sites and resources you can refer to with a lot of information about sciatica, back pain, herniated discs, and other conditions treated by chiropractors. We suggest avoiding individual practice sites; go for independent sources of information. After doing your research, create a list of questions you want to get answers to about your specific condition.
Visit the website of the chiropractor you are interested. Many practices have websites that can be good sources of information. Additionally, a practice’s site can give you feel of how you will most likely be treated as a patient.
Review your doctor’s resume. Try not pay attention to marketing tools such as customer testimonials, particularly ones that are posted on their own website. Instead, look if that “chiropractor near me” you searched online does the following:
- Requires x-rays when necessary
- Does not encourage supplement sales
- Does not emphasize long-term treatment regimens or too many visits
- Does not make claims unsupported by the scientific and medical community about the value of preventive care and wellness.
Additionally, checking the Yellow Pages may provide extra screening information. Nevertheless, not having a website or any online profile does not make a chiropractor any less qualified.
You may start calling professional chiropractor practices near you and checking their appointment availability, hours, insurance coverage, and more. This step will tell you if they treat their patients or potential patients with patience, courtesy, and respect.
At this point, you will have your candidate narrowed down. Here are some things to look for you in your first and succeeding visits with the chiropractor:
- Do you feel comfortable with your chiropractor?
- Does he or she give you sufficient time on every visit or do your visits with him or her seem rushed?
- Do your chiropractor seem eager to help you get better as soon as possible and encourage you to take care of yourself?
- Are the treatments comfortable? A lot of the times, you may experience some soreness and discomfort within the first several visits or sometimes even sooner. But these issues shouldn’t last a day or two. Let your chiropractor know if they do.
- Are you getting better? When treatment is effective, you should see a significant improvement within the first few sessions.
A Good Office
A medical professional that has his or her own office says a lot about what kind of practice they have. After searching for a “professional chiropractor near me” online, visit their office and get a “feel” of it.
Apart from the chiropractor, you should feel comfortable around the staff as well. They should be friendly and willing to answer any questions you may have and accommodating to your needs. They also shouldn’t put any pressure into getting any of their treatment “packages.” The personality of the chiropractor and the staff will give you the emotional support you need as you get treated for your condition.
- Watch out for These Red Flags
- Unnecessary repeats of x-ray
- Months of treatment without re-evaluation
- No improvement or even worsening of the condition
- Pre-sold treatment bundles
- Pressure to sign up for care programs